Job title: Financial Counselor
Reports to: Front Desk Supervisor
This position is responsible for educating patients and their families as to medical insurance coverage, amounts of co-pays and deductibles and available options to cover gaps in insurance coverage while in accordance with federal, state and in house policies and procedures.
Admin Asst activities (95 percent of time)
- Performs financial counseling process on all patients prior to treatment, which includes patient financial obligations, billing practices and establishing payment arrangements.
- Performs insurance verification process on all third party payers. Obtains initial and subsequent pre-authorization for services and surgeries.
- Re-verifies benefits and obtains authorization and/or referral after treatment plan has been discussed, prior to initiation of treatment. Ensures appropriate signatures are obtained on all necessary forms.
- Utilizes the in house collection policies and procedures and obtains appropriate approvals as required.
- Documents financial counseling process and forwards to Billing Office.
- Assists patients in obtaining financial assistance (i.e. Medicaid, drug replacement), outside assistance (i.e. transportation or other community services), and all appropriate forms filled out.
- Collects co-pays, deductible and other out of pocket amounts at time of visit.
- Assists in maintaining manuals, logs and other required documentation as required.
- Demonstrates an understanding for patient confidentiality to protect the patient and the clinic/corporation.
- Follows policies and procedures to contribute to the efficiency of the front office. Covers for and assists with other front office functions as needed
Other activities (5 percent of time)
- As assigned Front Office supervisor
- Fill in other positions in front office as needed.
The above specified tasks may not be the only duties assigned. Employees will be required to carry out any other job-related instructions requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- None required for this position
- Normal exposure to weather and temperature extremes.
- Normal amount of overtime or extended work hours required.
- Physical effort
- Normal physical mobility, which includes movement from place to place.
- Normal physical agility, which includes ability to maneuver body while in place.
- Normal physical strength to handle routine office materials and tools.
- Normal physical strength to handle 25-pound object, taking frequency into consideration.
- Normal dexterity of hands and fingers.
- Normal coordination, including eye-hand, hand-foot.
- Above average endurance.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years medical billing experience.
- Must have strong customer-service orientation.
- Must have strong accounting/collection skills
- Must have strong team orientation.
- Must have strong attention for detail.
- Normal concentration/intensity.
- Normal memory, taking into consideration the amount and type of information.
- Normal complexity of decision making.
- Normal time pressure of decision making.
- Normal verbal communication.
- Normal written communication.
- Normal nonverbal communication.
- Normal ability to see, distinguish colors and hear.
- Normal sense of touch.